Some of you think I've got lots to do over the next three weeks! Well it's true, but I'll do a little bit every day and before you know it, I'll be done!
So yesterday I decided to tackle Sherman's lack of heat. You may remember when we were driving up to Nova Scotia back in March that we didn't have any heat coming out of the engine heater. At the time, I though it was a blocked heater core, and it didn't help that the new thermostat I had put in back in South Carolina seemed to have the engine running colder than it should.
It would be a big job to take out the heater core, but you gotta do what you gotta do. But I started out by removing the heater control valve. This is what regulates the amount of hot water going through the core, and I quickly found out that it is broken. The arm turns, but it wasn't turning anything on the inside of the valve. So, it was good news that I don't have to remove the heater core, however it may not be that easy to get a new valve. The part itself is supplied by a company in Goshen, Indiana and that company was bought out back in 2008 so I had to make some phone calls to figure it all out. Eventually I was given the name of the guy who would know about this stuff but he was out for lunch and I never got back to him yesterday so I'll try him again today.
In the meantime, I went to the local auto parts store and bought new heater hose and clamps for Sherman. Then I replaced the thermostat and hopefully this one won't be defective!
Ruth's brother is a machinist and so I thought maybe he could fix the valve. But where it's broken the metal is both brass and steel so it couldn't be welded, plus there would be some kind of seal in there that would go bad if it was heated too much. So no, it can't be repaired.
Ruth got our upper cupboards all cleaned and put back together after installing the recovered panels. And she removed all the curtains and trim and seat covers and put everything in the wash. Sherman will be totally cleaned up by the time we head south!