The major item on the agenda for yesterday was to get our "MiFi" internet device reactivated.
We had bought this from Bell about two years ago. We bought it outright, so we didn't have to be locked into a contract. We only used it for about five months and then I cancelled the service when we arrived in Mexico in the fall of 2011.
Our Bell MiFi.
This little device connects to the internet over the cellular network. Then, it distributes a wi-fi signal that up to five devices can connect to. So Ruth and I can both be on the internet at the same time! The park where we are working this summer has no other method of connecting to the internet, but they do have good cellular service. We'll find out tomorrow!
Anyhow, we went down to the main Bell store downtown in the Midtown Mall. It wasn't busy and we were served right away. They gave us a new SIM card (the chip that has the cellular phone number on it) and set up our account again.
Then I checked it to make sure it was working.
And it wasn't!
So they checked a few things, and then they called their own tech support. Remember, these are just two sales clerks in the retail store. They really did go out of their way to try and get it going, but with no success. They were thinking there was something wrong with the device itself. I asked them to check that the device settings were all where they were supposed to be based on Bell's network, and they said they were. After about two hours (!) I finally gave up on them and asked for their tech number so I could take it back and work on it myself.
If I was going to have to spend $200 on a new one, I wanted to be confident that there was indeed something wrong with the old one.
I got it all set up and went into the device configuration settings. The first thing I saw was one box that was marked manual, and one box that was marked automatic. I changed it from manual to automatic, clicked "save" and watched it connect. Bingo! Just like that! It works perfectly now, exactly the way it's supposed to.
You'll notice in the picture above that our camera has developed dark splotches. I've already contacted Olympus, and they say these are dust particles on the sensor. My question is, how did they get there? Anyhow, they say it's covered under warranty, but I have to send it in and pay for the shipping and wait for who knows how long for it to come back. I'd rather have a new camera. I've asked them for a discount on a new one, and I have to call them today to find out if they'll do that. They didn't say no outright, so I guess we'll see how that plays out.
Not much on the agenda today. It's supposed to warm up though, calling for a high of 10C (50F) today, and 18C (65F) tomorrow!
Edit: I meant to include what the rate package is for the MiFi device. It's a graduated scale, starting at $10 a month, but quickly going to $30 a month for only 500 MB. If you go over that limit, it goes to $45 for 2 GB. Then $70 for 6 GB. Then $85 for 10 GB. Plus taxes, of course.