A nice start to the day at Lower Mazinaw Lake, Ontario, Canada.
Where are Kevin and Ruth now? Ottawa, Canada.

Where are Kevin and Ruth going next? Reuniting with Max in Germany on October 1st.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Knock, knock, knock... "It's the police..."

Got on the road early yesterday morning, and headed to the Carizzo Springs Walmart to do a big grocery shop and use their free wi-fi. But the Walmart in Carrizo Springs is just a basic Walmart store without much of a grocery section.

We did some internet and bought a refill card for our Verizon mi-fi so we can stay connected to you all for the next four weeks in the U.S..  Only bought a 5 GB package for $60 USD ($77 CAD) so we'll try and make that last. Still have some data remaining on our Telcel SIM card, and it's supposed to work in both the U.S. and Canada, so we'll see.

We got back on the road and headed to Uvalde, Texas. Made it to the Walmart SuperCenter there, and did a major shop. We stocked up on beer and wine... it gets more expensive as we head north. And did a major grocery shop. And, I bought a couple of new pairs of shorts. And oil change stuff for Sherman. And a charge cable for Ruth's laptop. We spent $334 USD ($430 CAD) at Walmart. Holy crap!

Yesterday's drive, 85.9 miles (138 kms).

Then, we went and checked out the Uvalde Municipal Airport for overnight parking possibilities. As we approached the airport, we recognized a parking lot at the college residence. We overnighted in that parking lot in October 2015! So, we knew we could go back there, but I had looked up a nature park on the other side of town and so we figured we would go check that out for overnight possibilities, and go for a walk while we're doing it.

Arrived at the Cooks Slough Nature Park, and the gate was open but it said that they shut it daily at 5:00pm. Hmm. So maybe this won't work. We parked up and went for a walk.

See that little mound of dirt towards the left?

Check out what's relaxing on it!

We are pretty sure it is a diamondback water snake which is nonvenomous, but it was pretty big!

It's a nice little park that they've made out of the wastewater treatment property.

Ruth, and a big cactus.

Red winged blackbird.

Black Bellied Whistling Ducks!

Back at the snake 45 minutes later, he was still there but had moved position a bit.


We were just getting ready to head out when a worker from the water treatment plant drove up in a little 4x4 buggy. It was getting close to 5:00pm, and I guess he was going to lock the gate. I opened the door and asked if it was possible that we could spend the night. He said he would go check with his boss and get back to us. Ralph was his name... friendly guy!

Ralph drove back ten minutes later and said that we were good to stay. He said "are you sure you'll be okay? It gets awfully dark here!"

We're fine. 

Ralph said he would leave the gate open in case there was an emergency. In hindsight, I should have asked him to close it and simply leave it unlocked.

Oh deer.


Sherman at sunset.

We settled in for the night, and had a good evening. Off to bed at about 10:30pm last night.

Ruth got up at about 1:00am because she heard a car. The car drove away though.

Then, another (or maybe the same) car appeared, and a few minutes later we got a knock, knock, knock on the door.

"It's the police" a voice said.

I quickly threw on a pair of shorts and peeked out the window. Yep, it's the cops all right!

He asked if we had permission to park here, and we explained the story. He said he thought it was odd that the gate was open, because it's always closed overnight. Anyhow, he apologized for bothering us, and I said it was no problem and thanked him for checking on us. Again, really friendly guy.

In all the the times we have found oddball overnight spots over the last ten years we have only been disturbed three times, twice in the U.S. by local police and once by the Mexican military. 

Anyhow, slept well after that, and this morning we're doing another short drive north to Garner State Park.

Great deal on this Bosch 3 in 1 tool kit...

And in Canada...


  1. I have two 8 x 10 sheets printed up with large black letters thay say : PARKED WITH MANAGEMENT'S PERMISSION. I keep them in plastic page protectors with a cardboard backing so they stand up right. I put one up in the front driver side windshield between the window and the pull-down shade. I put the other one at the window just to the right of our side entry door. That way if there's any question during the middle of the night, perhaps a police officer or security person will see the sign and not bother to knock.

    1. That’s a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    2. Great idea Karen, I think from now on we will do the same! :-)

  2. Dear Kevin and Ruth - I have thoroughly enjoyed following your trip around Mexico (and living vicariously through your writings). What a wonderful adventure. I will definitely keep reading your blog as you work your way to the Yukon (wow!).

    Happy trail - Kathy

    1. That should be Happy Trails as I know you will be on many!

    2. Thank you so much Kathy. We are really glad that your enjoyed our travels through Mexico.

      Our trip up to the Yukon is also going to be quite the adventure, and it will be done on our schedule. :-)

  3. We have only had that problem once last year at a Walmart that we have stayed at before, and then again no problem

    1. I am sure that anyone that does boondocking enough will have this happened to them at some point. We are just glad that we had gotten permission beforehand though.

  4. That was nice that police checked to ensure everything okay. I imagine they would start a search if no one answered...incase someone got hurt or lost.

    1. It is nice that they were there to check on things.

  5. Like Kevin said it would have been better if Ralph had just closed the gate without locking it but it was nice the officer was happy with your response making you feel Safe.

    It's about time.

    1. If we ever come across a similar situation in the future that is what we will suggest for sure!

  6. Another interesting blog! I sooooo enjoyed your Mexican caravan trip but now in hindsight, I dont think we would have made it through the early mornings and long drives......maybe someday, we might venture taking our mini motorhome to Mexico and use your blog as our guide. Happy trails as you journey on!

    1. Throughout the whole trip there weren't a lot of early morning drives unless you think 8am or 9am as early and there weren't too many long driving days. Kevin and I certainly had a few more just because we were trying to catch up with the group after the two breakdowns that we had.

      We really do hope that you will venture down to Mexico. Maybe you would rather do the Copper Canyon tour instead. There is far less driving and the tour is only 30 days. The canyon is beautiful and so is the train ride.

  7. Hindsight, always comes too late!
    Glad all was ok, though.

    1. Yes, hindsight is 20/20! :-)

      We are definitely glad that we had gotten permission to begin with though.


We love hearing from you! Please take the time to leave a comment...