Our daughter Lindsey, and grandkids Cameron and Sadie out for a walk at Baxter Conservation Area south of Ottawa, Ontario. Photo taken by Ruth October 26 2016.
Where are Kevin and Ruth right now? Osgoode, Ontario, Canada. Just south of Ottawa.

And where are they going next? We leave November 1st for a six week trip to Romania and Moldova.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Getting ready to go

We are going to sleep in the motorhome tonight!
So that tomorrow morning we can wake up, start the motorhome, and head down the highway.

But before we do that, we have quite a bit to do to get ready. The first thing is to go out and turn on the propane and the furnace and warm things up in there. We could plug in, but the motorhome is parked quite far from the house and there's no convenient electrical outlet. But I think we have enough battery power to supply the furnace fan, and still keep us warm enough overnight tonight. There hasn't been much in the way of sun the last few days, so the solar panels aren't going to be helping keep the batteries charged.

I didn't put any RV antifreeze in the water lines last fall, I blew them out instead. I'm confident that I did a good enough job to prevent any damage from water freezing in the system, but I removed the water pump and put it in the house just to be on the safe side. So I have to reinstall the water pump, and carry some water out to the fresh water tank...just enough to get us through a couple of days. Then, I have to put a new nylon plug in the hot water tank, and run some water through the system.

Then it's just a matter of carrying the rest of our things out, and moving in!

The weather is looking okay for our trip down. We might run into flurries through Syracuse NY, but otherwise we look okay to at least make through Pennsylvania and into Maryland late tomorrow afternoon to find a Walmart for the night. We need to do a major grocery shop, so we'll be able to get that done at the same time. If by chance the weather does turn bad, we have no problem pulling over and waiting until things get better, even if it means staying overnight before we want to.

We're going to try and update the blog more than once a day depending on internet access, so don't hesitate to check in more often to see our latest updates!

Sherman, itching to hit the open road!


  1. Good luck on hitting the road! Sure wish we were going with ya--- as we sit here and watch the snowflakes fall from the sky (sigh)

    Karen and Steve

  2. Have a great trip guys we hope to leave NB April 7 for MB and other points so will be interested in you posts of what lays ahead.

  3. Have fun as you start your travels. Hope you get good weather all the way.

    Looking forward to traveling along with you.


  4. Thanks all. The weather for the drive looks okay so far...but I'm going to call ahead and get them to turn the thermostat up in Myrtle Beach!


We love hearing from you! Please take the time to leave a comment...