So then what happens is the leaves fall off in the first two weeks of October and then they get covered in snow. And packed down and stuck to the ground.
So the leaf blower, which is actually a pretty powerful unit, has a hard time dealing with the stuck leaves. In the fall, it would be easy to blow them into a pile.
They warned us that we would probably spend much of the first two weeks raking and cleaning up debris and dead branches. And that's what we've been doing.
Ruth, more so than me. It's getting pretty hard on her hands and wrists, but as she says, it's got to be done. At least there's a visible difference in the attractiveness of the place when you're finished an area, so you can see that you're making progress.
As soon as we've got fifteen or so bags ready, we drive them up to the dump and empty them.
This section was flat when we started!
But, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. We will have things ready and looking great by the end of this coming Thursday. Starting today, we will work on the individual campsites first at a rate of approximately ten per day and spend the remaining hours on the general grounds. That way, the sites will definitely be ready for Friday, and whatever cleanup that didn't get done, if any, can be done the following week. There is also a little painting to be done, so that will be a diversion from the raking!
A tree fell on this picnic table!
I took the wood slats off this picnic table and saved them. There are several older picnic tables up in the storage compound in various states of disrepair, so one day I'll take all the pieces and put them together into a few decent tables.
Thank you all so much for the anniversary wishes! Especially on our facebook page. We really enjoy your comments and love hearing from you all!