The one we replaced is only about six years old. But it was not made to standards that exist today, and so it couldn't legally be added to or adapted in any way.
And so the decision was made to replace it entirely. There was grant money available from various sources and so the park itself was only responsible for about 25% of the total ($40,000!!!) cost.
Here's Kevin and grandson Cameron in the gator. Taken last month, you can see our old playground in the background.
It's been interesting watching the whole process. First, we had to decide what to do with the old playground, and it ended up being donated to one of the local Hutterite communities provided they came and took it away. That's exactly what happened, and in the middle of June it was taken away...
The Hutterites taking away the old playground.
Then a few days ago, we started leveling out the area for the new playground. Everything went smoothly until we broke an underground waterline! Not a serious problem, although we broke it again a couple of times yesterday when they were drilling holes.
Leveling the ground for the new structure.
At 10:00am yesterday, the place was humming with activity.
The company who manufactures the playground equipment sends one guy who supervises the building of it. We were scheduled for three full days. We were supposed to supply a minimum of 15 volunteers per day, and yesterday at one point we counted 30 people helping out!
A giant jigsaw puzzle.
Those black plastic things are the edging for the perimeter.
By 4:00pm it's starting to take shape.
By 6:45pm, there's still some people working!
We got so much done yesterday that today will be a short day, and Monday the cement truck is coming to fill the holes. Then we have a couple of loads of something coming to fill the base.
Looking forward to seeing the kids playing on it. Hopefully it will be all done by Tuesday!